Sunday 27 September 2015

Why I am not buying a new PC

I really, really need a replacement laptop.

But times are hard and I have to consider every purchase carefully.

I think the laptop I have got will be OK for my new Espruino but I can't get it to load Eclipse with the DroidScript plugin SDK which I am desperate to learn to use.

I was going to get a second-hand one from work, then work went bust.

Every few days, I persuade myself that I will buy a new laptop - after all, they cost nothing these days.

But just as I make the decision, someone writes in the user group "someone should write a plugin for that".


You would think that would be an incentive, wouldn't you?

But at the moment, it feels like I am spending all my time helping other people in the user group. That's between answering question, testing the answers and trying to develop stuff other people are asking for.

I really don't mind doing that - after all I don't have to. and most people do say thanks, unlike other forums.

But I do feel that if I spend a lot of effort learning to develop Java plugins, I am going to resent being expected to jump through hoops every time someone wants something petty that I would not develop for myself.

Never mind, tomorrow is another day and I will probably buy myself a laptop.

2 comments:

  1. Steve,

    All I can say is that 'I' appreciate the help you have given me, especially the drag layout problem. We are similar in our journey, although, you have been using DS a little while longer than myself. Tomorrow is always a new day, and I too get frustrated with script kiddies; failing sometimes to remember that I once, albeit many years ago, was one myself.

    I am posting the how to create a pkugin with AIDE within the next few days. :)

    So, from atleast me, Thank you.

    ChrisF :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Chris
    I was just having a bad day. And to be fair a high percentage of people do say thanks

    Thanks also for all your work on the ftp client plugin and for your offer of advice on using AIDE for plugins.

    ReplyDelete